Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Natural arch - Black Mountains, Mohave County



This photo was taken by my father in the early 1970s.


My father was told of this by Ed Edgerton in the early 1970s. Ed was the owner of Ed's Camp which was located along Route 66 on the east side of the Black Mountains. It was the last stop for gas and water before the steep windy climb up Sitgreaves Pass. My dad prospected and explored the Black Mountains for most of the 1970s. He introduced himself to Ed and they became friends. He spent many hours talking with Ed about the local area and I accompanied him several times on his visits. Ed's knowledge of the Black Mountains was incredible and his stories were very interesting, even to me as a young boy. We went to rock art panels, waterfalls, springs, caves, mines and countless other incredible places, including this arch, after learning of them from Ed.  There is some info on Ed here: http://patricktillett.blogspot.com/2013/08/eds-camp-arizona-route-66-ghost-town.html.

I can recall in the 1990s or so when the Kingman Arizona newspaper, the Daily Miner, had a picture of this arch and asked if anyone knew of its location. I'm sure many people know of it now. One really neat thing about the arch is that, coming up from the west side, it is not visible until you are just yards from it. I've not been in this area since 1980 or so. I'd love to go back but I imagine I'd be less than thrilled with the number of people going into this area. It is very close to, if not within, the Mt. Nutt Wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment