Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Deadman Wash area

I was recently checking out the Deadman Wash area north of the San Francisco Peaks that is accessed Forest Road 514. I've been in this area a good bit for work but it had been over a decade that since I visited the area on my free tine. I drove up to check out the remains of the Deadman fire lookout tower. The road up is a bit narrow and, because of the loose cinders, is probably best negotiated with a four-wheel drive vehicle. The view from the top is fantastic with the Peaks to the south, numerous cinder cones to the west and north, and O'Leary Peak and the Strawberry Crater Wilderness to the east. I realized after seeing the remains of the tower that I'd driven up here many years ago in my Scout II. The lookout is shown on the 1962 Flagstaff 1:125,000 topo map but is not shown on the 1966 O'Leary Peak 1:24,000 topo. The O'Leary Peak lookout tower is shown on the 1966 topo but not the 1962. The O'Leary Peak tower clearly replaced the Deadman tower and likely others as it offers a much better view of a larger area.


There were two benchmarks on the top of the hill. One was located just north of this foundation. I wasn't able to locate it. The other benchmark is show on the National Geodetic Survey website as being on this foundation. The datasheet associated with this  benchmark (National Geodetic Survey datasheet) states that the station marker ".....is the cupola on a small white building about 12 ft. square. The building has a green roof." It appears that the concrete structure is a cistern on which the building was constructed. The foundation for the tower itself is no longer evident.


Portion of 1962 Flagstaff 1:250,000 topo


Portion of 1966 O'Leary Peak 1:24,000 topo map




View to the east showing O'Leary Peak and Strawberry Crater off in the distance left of O'Leary.


Looking northwest.


View south of the San Francisco Peaks.


On the drive back to highway 89A, I happened to notice a stone chimney not far off the road. I knew from the maps I had with me that was located on private land so I wasn't able to go check it out.




I was curious at to how lived here and when it was built.  I checked the General Land Office map for Township 24 north,  Range 8 east, Section 19 and found that Alfred Stagg received a patent on 150 acres within Section 19 on March 2, 1920. The O'Leary Peak 1:24,000 topo shows "Stagg Tank" close to where the chimney is located.




A search made on Albert Stagg in Arizona newspapers came up with very little. There is this public notice from the April 23, 1915 Coconino Sun. This looks to be Stagg's original claim that was filed with the United States Land Office. It is my understanding that if a claimant lived on the land and made improvement to it that, after five years, they would be given ownership of the land.


There are a couple public notices where he is listed as a witness for a claimant that has filed  a land claim with the U.S. Land Office. The December 26, 1913 Coconino Sun has a notice describing Stagg as a plaintiff against a mining company that operated in the Grand Canyon.





I searched for a death certificate on http://genealogy.az.gov/. The search did produce a death certificate of an Alfred Stagg that died in 1941 at the age of  "abt. 89". It seems reasonable to think that this might be the same Alfred Stagg that lived north of the Peaks with the exception that it is stated that he had lived in Arizona about 7 years. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment